I just found out my child was abused years ago. Can I take action now?


You absolutely can take immediate action in the state of Florida. The first thing you will want to do is contact the Department of Children and Families (DCF). They are going to investigate to determine whether or not there is proven abuse, damage or neglect. Fortunately, they work hand in hand with law enforcement so you will want to contact your local law enforcement and pursue any possible criminal violations, on behalf of the victim. If you are currently in a domestic case or the court has jurisdiction of your divorce case, or paternity case, and your child is still of an age, you may want to go in and modify some type of contact if you can prove that there was abuse.