Parental Alienation


Parental Alienation Syndrome occurs during a divorce when one parent deliberately or unconsciously attempts to alienate a child from the other parent. A child may begin to belittle or insult one parent without provocation or justification. If you had a strong relationship with your child, and the child has become withdrawn or has expressed an unwillingness to spend time with you, Parental Alienation Syndrome may be to blame. Contact Attorney Natasha P. Bostick for information and perspective about alientation. You may be able to take legal action to help ensure that this emotional harm caused to your child does not continue to occur.

Parental Alienation Syndrome (PAS) is often done after a divorce or separation in an attempt to retain full custody of the child or to limit the timesharing with the other parent. Whether in the case of sole custody or joint custody, the offending parent will use their position of trust and the power of their relationship with their child in order to brainwash the child into believing that the other parent does not love them or convince the child that he or she does not want to see the other parent.

Some signs of Parental Alienation Syndrome include:

  • Your relationship with your child is starting to deteriorate
  • Your child no longer wants to visit you, for no apparent reason
  • Your child has started to blame you for the divorce
  • Your child has begun using adult words to explain why they don’t want to visit or why you are to blame (in this case, they are coached by the other parent and fed the words to say)


Parental Alienation is often committed in underhanded and secretive ways. By working with an attorney, you can learn more information about this condition and understand your options in order to make this stop. Your attorney can help you understand the signs to look and help you take legal action against the other parent if this is already occurring.

Coping with child custody issues during a divorce or separation is an emotional situation. By working with an attorney, you can focus on spending time with your children and helping to rebuild your family while we handle your legal matter. Contact a Kissimmee or Melbourne divorce lawyer from our firm today.